Is getting your 5-a-day of veggies and fruits one of your main healthy eating goals?It’s a great start! Good health should always be a top priority and it begins with eating right. 5-a-day is based on advice from the World Health Organization, which recommends eating a minimum of 400g of fruit and vegetables a day to lower the risk of serious health problems, such as heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and obesity.
There are plenty of ways to increase your intake of fruits and vegetables at every meal. These two food groups are highly recommended by doctors, dieticians and fitness experts because they’re a natural source of essential vitamins and minerals, low in fat and calories and contain natural fibres which keep your digestive system in top gear.
It is not just fresh fruit and vegetables that count towards your healthy 5-a-day. Sunsweet Prune juice made from delicious fat-free Californian prunes, can be used as one of your portions.
What’s more, you can have delicious prune juice as part of any meal!
- Enjoy it as a breakfast smoothie with Greek yogurt and frozen raspberries
- Make it your after dinner treat by blending it with low-fat chocolate milk and bananas
- Drink a glass before you go to bed at night to aid digestion
The NHS Livewell programme cites five reasons to get your five portions
- Fruit and vegetables taste delicious and there's so much variety to choose from.
- They're a good source of vitamins and minerals, including folate, vitamin C and potassium.
- They're an excellent source of dietary fibre, which helps maintain a healthy gut and prevent constipation and other digestion problems. A diet high in fibre can also reduce your risk of bowel cancer.
- They can help reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke and some cancers.
- Fruit and vegetables contribute to a healthy and balanced diet.
For a single smoothie to qualify as being two portions, it must contain:
- at least 80g of one variety of whole fruit and/or vegetable and at least 150ml of a different variety of 100% fruit and/or vegetable juice, or
- a minimum of 80g of one variety of whole fruit and/or vegetable and at least 80g of another variety of whole fruit and/or vegetable.
Sunsweet® Prune Juice Made from delicious Californian prunes, Sunsweet prunes and prune juice are fat free, containing only the nutrients that nature provides. Take our 14-Day Feel Brilliant Challenge with a money back guarantee and revitalize your entire body. Participants also qualify to enter our sweepstakes to win a professional Gordon Ramsey professional blender.
Sign up to receive emails through your 14 day journey, read our Tips and Facts to learn more about prune juice and browse our recipes for different ways to enjoy it.